A family-owned and run farming business has been fined after an employee sustained severe injuries following a fall from height. The employer asked an employee to install an electric cable through four barns at a height of approximately 4 metres. A potato box lifted by a forklift was used as a working platform. The worker fell approximately 2.5-3.5 metres and suffered a head injury as well as multiple fractures.

An investigation by the HSE found the potato box was inherently unsafe and should not have been used with the forklift truck in any circumstances. Further, the company had failed to follow their own procedures in relation to safe working at height. They pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and have been fined £40,000.